24 August, 2008

Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

Anyone remotely interested in Science has heard of Carl Sagan. And in my family's case, heard, discussed a LOT about him.

Carl Sagan is known as the man who made astronomy interesting, he wrote over 30 books on the subject & perhaps his defining contribution was to explain all the astronomy's phenomenon in layman's language.

My sister recently sent me the link to this most inspiring and humbling video on Youtube. Its only 3:31 seconds long & if you have read through this passage, please do not stop now, watch it.

 

 

Carl Sagan died in 1996 but he is still remembered as the man who made astronomy fascinating for so many of us & perhaps he is to an extent responsible for making so many people go into astronomy.

Here is his wikipedia link.

I was thinking about him after watching this & as per my nature spent the next hour reading about this very interesting man. I did find it a bit sad to read that he was an atheist & found his reasoning on the topic to be quite different (if not flawed) to my own. No matter what, I cannot help but admire him immensely for his wisdom & I realise that wisdom itself is such an all encompassing word. He may or may not have had the wisdom to search/ give time to religion but he did gain the wisdom of searching for reason to the existence to this universe.

He said it well & said it better than I could ever put it when he said: "To live in the hearts we leave behind is to never die."

No comments: