06 September, 2009

Pondering on the true purpose of life...

Its my 4th day in Pakistan. I am in Islamabad with my mother is taking care of my grand-dad, who is hospitalised after suffering a stroke. He's 80+ masha'Allah. It all started with a high blood pressure (something which has troubled him a good few decades) leading to a stroke which in turn lead to part paralysis along with pneumonia which triggered various other complication including pelvic infection & (as of yesterday) hernia... all of that with depression, cramps and memory loss too.

Its quite a tough reminder of what life becomes later (tough, rough and more tough) and how helpless one becomes by all the ailments attacking in unison. Being dependent is terrible and certainly comes across as truly a horrific state yet to actually experience it in third person is most frightening, even more so. Being in such state is surely the worst of fates and as I write this, I wonder about the debate on 'euthenasia'. Being a muslim, euthenasia is something that is considered on equal footing to suicide. Islam does not allow anyone to prematurely end their life... no ifs and no buts about it.

And even after watching all the documentaries of doctors who have set up clinics or practicing 'Euthenasia' illegally, I was convinced that this is wrong and doctors should not have the permission to practice such actions. Now that I see my grandfather in his state, I do question the rights and wrongs. He is in quite a bit of pain and was almost ready to giveup himself (hes an ex-army man himself) and that is where my resolve weakened. I want to reserve my final opinion to another post in a while as I feel this is a topic that merits a more thorough resolution of thoughts.

Finally, I quote a Hadith which says:

"Indeed, whoever (intentionally) kills himself, then certainly he will be punished in the Fire of Hell, wherein he shall dwell forever", [Bukhaaree (5778) and Muslim (109 and 110)]

No comments: