27 October, 2009

Thoughts on District 9

 

district9Just saw the movie and I have to say I liked it, but… it just did not blow me away as I expected it to. Let me explain:

I saw so many of these posts on Digg and other networking sites where people were raving rabbit mad about this movie and how it has such a strong message. All of this stuff about the moral of the story, the theme, the feel, the heroes (I do agree there) etc etc, it all built up this huge excitement that really made me want to see this movie in the cinema (which I rarely do) & of course lets not forget, Peter Jackson is behind this movie so…

And yet, its almost seems unfinished, unpolished, hurried. My biggest problem of all is with the aliens and where they are living, i.e. District 9. For a population of almost almost 1,000,000 aliens, the movie gave a very poor impression of that huge a population, that's a size of a city! And yet, all we got to see was 4-5 aliens at once, where are the rest of the freakin’ aliens Peter?! or more like, what the hell did YOU do to them Peter?!

Secondly, the aliens themselves don’t act very intelligent for a race that has developed those awesome weapons and of course that ship! There is no sense of community, of a race that's all by itself. Surely, we humans would have tried to be a little tiny bit more accommodating of each other on an alien, hostile alien at that, land! On a personal note, that prawn look also does their intelligence a disservice, I cannot remember an number of expressions any of the aliens gave to the camera…

Thirdly, what's with the human weapons, they appear to have been taken from Halo or something (not a big fan of Halo here, not by a long shot). They looked really kiddie toys. I guess South Africans are very tough on weapons (!?!)…

Anyways, the movie itself is great fun, I have to watch it again, but this time with my sister hopefully. I have to give huge props to Sharlto Copley, the actor who plays ‘Wikes Van De Merwe’. He was amazing, I felt so many different emotions towards his character, initially funny, silly and incompetent to later, likable, strong, victim and sincere. Hope he stays for the sequel.

No comments: